Tuesday, April 11, 2017

THE LIFE OF A MILITARY WIFE


We just celebrated National Vietnam Veteran Day, and they asked the soldiers to submit their stories of what it was like to be a soldier in Vietnam. Since too many people will do that, I’m going to explain what it was like to be the wife of a Vietnam soldier who made the military life his career. For 23 years, I followed the drum with my husband, Ed, except for the two tours he served in Vietnam.

MY INTRODUCTION TO ARMY LIFE

My first introduction to the army was rather rude. He finished basic training and went to Ft. Walters, Texas for nine months of flight training in the helicopter. His orders there stated: “automotive vehicles and wives are not authorized for this assignment.”

I did not like being classified with an automotive vehicle, so after he had soloed, three
months into his course, I joined him with all the things I could fit into a car. It reminded me of the pioneers who put their lives’ belongings into a wagon to head west, except I know I had lots more than they did. My father and uncle drove me down, and then my dad went back in my uncle’s car, which I have always appreciated.

My husband had to stay in the barracks, so I got a small apartment on the base. He could see me on Wednesday night for two hours and from Saturday afternoon until Sunday night. That was all!!! If I wasn’t there at the base on those visiting times, I didn’t see him.
 I only missed seeing him once; I had a miscarriage at the end of Ed’s flight training in Texas and was hospitalized. The hospital contacted Ed’s unit, but the TAC officer never let Ed know where I was until after his visiting hours were over; Ed never knew why I hadn’t come. After the TAC officer told Ed where I was, he wouldn’t release him to go to the hospital and visit me. It wasn’t until Saturday afternoon he could find out exactly what had happened and how I was. Phone calls were not allowed!


When we transferred to Ft. Rucker, Alabama for the last period of the flight training, life was much better—we could live together in a trailer. But our Christmas present that year was his orders to Vietnam when he had completed training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Back in Time--Hawaii 2020, part 3

Wilder Road We got off the main highway on Kaumana Drive and turned onto Wilder Dr...