Sunday, December 17, 2017

Childhood Christmas Memories

There were three memorable childhood Christmases that I remember vividly. Each were different, and each were special in their own way.

My earliest Christmas memory was when I was about five or six years old. For years my father hadn’t had a good job, and money was very scarce, but that year my dad had gotten a good job at Hill Air Force Base. So, money seemed to be secure!

We drove to Monroe, Utah where my paternal grandmother lived to have Christmas with her. It was the one of the few times we hadn’t had Christmas at home, so I was especially excited.

My grandmother’s home was very simple and basic; there was a stove in the kitchen which was used for heating and cooking, and a large pot-bellied stove in the living room. But we never felt the cold as we rejoiced in a family Christmas. My dad took my older brothers up into the mountains to cut down a Christmas tree and we decorated it with lights and icicles.

My mother was 1st generation Danish (her parents had been born in Denmark), and Danes always opened their Christmas presents on Christmas Eve. My dad wouldn’t go along with that, but he did allow us to open one present on Christmas Eve.

My deceased grandfather had always enjoyed playing Santa Claus, and visiting the houses,
distributing the gifts that the parents had purchased. So early Christmas morning my father had arranged for a Santa to come to our house with our presents. I still believed in Santa Claus, so I was awed that I could really talk to him. He opened his bag and pulled out a large wrapped box. I couldn’t believe such a big box was for me, but I quickly opened it and discovered a large 14-inch Madam Alexander “Beth” doll.

That whole Christmas, from being at Grandmother Hansen’s, to my dad and brothers cutting down a real tree, to an authentic visit from Santa was memorable, but to receive such an expensive and special gift—a doll named after the “Little Women” character just as I was, was unforgettable.

The next Christmas I remember, I was about 10 years old. We lived in a large house on Pages Lane in Bountiful, and I remember the beautiful bubbling candle lights on the Christmas tree. They seemed magical to me.

I knew all about Santa Claus, so did my younger sister, Coleen; she also knew that our tradition of opening one gift at Christmas was going to help us see what Santa had brought us, before morning.

Because of our Danish heritage, we could open one gift on Christmas Eve and my Coleen, pointed out to me the gift I should open. When I opened it, I discovered a rudimentary knowledge box game with questions and a probe on a wire. There were question pages you’d put on the box and if you put the probe on the right answer, the big light on the box would light up. (I had one like that for my own children and my oldest son dissected it to see how it worked.) If you put the probe on the right hole, it completed an elementary circuit, which turned on the light!


We waited until early morning (we may have slept a little, but not much), and then we snuck from our room into the living room. There were no lights on the Christmas tree, and the house was very dark, until we put the probe in the right hole (we couldn’t see the questions, so it was trial and error). Then the light glowed, and we could see what was under the tree. I don’t remember what I got for Christmas, all I remembered was us going around and looking at all the unwrapped presents under the tree. We didn’t touch anything, even the gifts we’d be getting, and we went back to bed (probably not to sleep) until it was light, and we could get out of bed. The reward wasn’t the gifts, but out-foxing our parents to see what we’d get before morning.

The last Christmas in that house on Pages Lane was special because my mother was expecting a “Christmas Baby,” and she had it two days before Christmas. I don’t remember what I got that year for Christmas. What I was excited about was that at 13 years old I was old enough to go to the hospital on Christmas morning and carry home the new baby.

There is a story that my youngest brother had gotten into his water color paints and eaten them, turning his mouth all colors and worrying everyone that he might be poisoned. But I don’t remember that either—I just remember the wonder of a REAL Christmas baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Back in Time--Hawaii 2020, part 3

Wilder Road We got off the main highway on Kaumana Drive and turned onto Wilder Dr...