Monday, June 5, 2017

I Want to Be a Missionary—Even if I’m in My 70s

My graduation photo
I can’t remember a time when I did not want to go on a mission. All through high school, I just planned that I would go on a mission when I was 21 years old (the age then for women), and took preparatory classes, both Seminary and Institute on preparing to serve a mission.
Then I went to college and married before I was old enough to serve a mission. But I never gave up hope. All my married life, I tried to be a member missionary. My husband was in the military and we lived all over the world, a great opportunity to be a missionary, but I never succeeded in seeing one person I’d taught be baptized.
Our wedding photo

I remember my attitude about who might join the Church changed in 1975 when we lived at Ft. Hood, Texas. Most of my friends were people who were active in their own churches, and I shared my testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel with them; none of them were interested in the Church.
Our family in 1976
However, one of the officers in Ed’s unit was contacted by the missionaries through tracting and really became interested in the Church.  I was shocked because he had been living with his girlfriend without being married, and was one of the biggest partiers in our unit.  But after he and his girlfriend (who by then was his wife) turned their lives around and joined the Church, I was very humbled.  They became very active in the Church and made a great contribution to our small ward. 
That opened my eyes to see that many people might be interested in the gospel, despite their lifestyle. But I still didn’t help convert anyone. But I always befriended many different people, and I often testified of the joy the gospel brought to my life.
When my husband retired from the military and we moved to Utah, I began working full-time. My husband felt that after 23 years in the demanding military, he wanted a chance to be the primary caretaker to our youngest son who was three years old at the time. So, he decided that it was my turn to work full-time for 20 years, and let him be a stay-at-home father. I can remember when I was offered a full-time job that I didn’t apply for—they came to me to ask me work as the IT person at the American Cancer Society.


Me during my early years of work
To say I was conflicted was too simple. I had been a full-time mother for 24 years, and I didn’t want to work full-time. I was afraid to ask Ed for a priesthood blessing because I knew he wanted me to take the job, so I asked my father, a long-time advocate that women should never work, to give me a priesthood blessing to help me in my decision. I couldn’t see how he could tell me to work when he was so against women working.
Quoting from my diary of 24 July 1991:
Diana, Bryan and I went over to Dad's on Sunday afternoon.   Dad began to give me the blessing, and after a bit said, "I feel . . ." then paused for a long time.  When he started again, he blessed me in vague ways that didn't mean much.  A little later in the blessing, he said again, "I feel . . ." and paused longer.  Finally, he said, "I feel . . ."  again and blessed me in a way that made it seem like I would go to work.  That's when I really began to cry, because I knew then what he was saying--that I would have to work.”
My father
(I remember vividly shaking my head as Dad told me that working was what the Lord wanted me to do.) 
“But there was no doubt that the blessing was a confirmation that I would have to work.  After I finished, Dad was shaking and we had all really felt the spirit!  He said that every time he started to say that he felt that I should stay home, or continue my schooling, it was like a stupor came over him and he couldn't continue!  He had to stop until he said the other words, that for now I'd have to face the challenges and take advantage of the opportunities that came my way.

“It was neat, and I felt the confirmation, but I was still upset because I don't want to work so badly!  But I will do it, if that's what's the Lord wants because I know that I can trust Him to guide me to do what's best for me and my family.  Dad also blessed my family through me, too, so I feel reassured that despite my misgivings, it will work out!”
I also remember in that blessing, I was promised that Ed would be blessed through my working, and that worked out also in the 18 years I worked full time.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Back in Time--Hawaii 2020, part 3

Wilder Road We got off the main highway on Kaumana Drive and turned onto Wilder Dr...