Friday, February 1, 2013

Grey Hair at Eighteen



I didn’t date much in high school, but I remember one date that was very memorable. It was a date I had in 1961 when I was a junior and I went to the senior prom at Bountiful High School. My date, Bill was a very intelligent guy from a wealthy family who was planning on going to medical school. He had been accepted at a prestigious college back east. We had known each other for quite a while through Honor Societies, United Nations and other activities and he had asked me to go with him to his senior prom.
“Don’t worry, Beth, I’ll get you home in time,” Bill laughed.
“I just don’t want my parents to worry,” I said. I was having a good time, but I always worried about everything.
“Relax,” Bill said. “No one has started leaving yet. Besides, this is my senior prom. Let’s enjoy it.”
“I guess you’re right. It is still early.”
“Don’t forget, the new car my folks gave me for graduation will make it to the moon and back in a flash, so it’ll take only a second to get home.”
Persuaded by the soft lights, Bill’s laughter, and the dancing, I pushed the nibbling worry further back among the cobwebs. This was the prom, I rationalized; my parents wouldn’t expect me to come home until later.
It was 12:15 a.m. when we finally left the dance and raced our friends to Salt Lake City to eat at the Pancake House. Bill’s car was swifter than the rest so no one was at there when we arrived. Bill, too impatient to wait there, started searching for them. As it became later, and we couldn’t find them, he decided to eat without them. Since by now, the Pancake House was closed, we headed toward the airport.
Once away from the glare and noise of the city, and onto the still darkness of the road, my worry again crept to the surface. The excitement of the evening was beginning to wilt, and I thought of how my parents would start worrying if we didn’t get home soon. But I took a deep breath, looked over at Bill—and thought, he’ll get me home in time.
My worry increased as the road stretched more and more endlessly ahead of us and we saw no sign of the airport. Finally I ventured a remark.
“Are you sure we’re on the right road? I don’t see any sign of the airport.”
“Yes, we’re going due west, aren’t we? There’s only one road going that way—the one to the airport.”
“But it has never taken this long to get out to the airport. It’s getting pretty late, too.”
Bill clutched the wheel more tightly and floored the engine as though speed would drive away my worry. I searched the empty roadside anxiously for a sign of some sort to tell us where we were headed. As the miles swept by, a small line of fear began to crease Bill’s face, and my hands grew clammy as I thought of my parents worrying at home. Just as we were about to give up, we saw a small sign ahead. Bill slowed the car as we drew nearer. My heart turned over with despair as I read, “Bingham, 5 miles.”
“Well, anyway, we weren’t too far off; we are heading West, or Southwest.” I feebly tried to joke, hoping to laugh away my growing fear. In my mind’s eye, I saw my mother apprehensively pacing the floor, wondering why I wasn’t home.
Finally, after what seemed to be hours of anguish, we drove into the airport parking lot; my watch read 2:33. I tried to smile as I ordered sandwiches, the quickest prepared food on the menu, while Bill went to phone my parents to tell them we’d be getting home later than we’d planned. I relaxed a little, thinking that at least they wouldn’t worry any longer. But one look at Bill’s face as he returned told me I was wrong.
“Your line’s busy,” he told me. “I couldn’t talk to your folks.” My mind thought immediately of them frantically calling all over, trying to find out why I wasn’t home. The food, as I tried to force it down, tasted like dry paper. If only we’d get home, I kept thinking.
“Let’s go on Redwood Road,” Bill said. “It may be more isolated, but it will get you home in ten minutes.” I relaxed again as the car raced along the darkened road. I wouldn’t be much longer until I’d be home.
“Heck! Look at that temperature!” Bill exclaimed as he jerked on the brake. I looked, and my heart stopped as it glared a bright red at me.
“What’s wrong?” I asked timidly, scared by this new obstacle and also by the look on Bill’s face.
“I don’t know, but the oil’s dry, too.” We crawled along for a while, but neither the oil, nor the temperature got any better. Suddenly the speedometer jumped.
“If it doesn’t improve going slowly, I might as well go faster so we won’t be so far out here in no man’s land when it gives out,” he explained.
I sat silently hoping we’d make it to civilization before the engine stopped. Now I was worrying, not only about what my parents were thinking, but also about whether I’d ever get home. No one would think to look for us out of Redwood Road.
Suddenly all hopes were dashed as the engine sputtered and stopped. I held my breath as the car came to a halt. As Bill examined the engine, I sat inside and fought back the tears. I realized that, now, my parents had a valid right to worry about me.
As I thanked the person who’d picked us up and taken me home, I steeled myself for the ordeal ahead. The customary porch light showed my watch that it was 4:40 a.m. I could see only one of our cars; either the other was in the garage or my parents were out looking for me.
“I’m terribly sorry, Beth,” Bill broke into my train of thought. “Do you want me to go in and try to explain to your parents?”
“No, you’d better go get someone to tow your car and see if there’s anything they can do about fixing it.”
“Well, I’m awfully sorry about everything.”
I opened the door and crept into the house; to my shock no one was up. They were not pacing the floor waiting for me. Even if they had gone to bed, they would never have gone to sleep before they knew I was safely home. But this time they had! I couldn’t believe it.
I tiptoed in to say “good night” and the noise awoke my mother slightly.
“What time is it?” she mumbled sleepily.
“I don’t know,” I lied. The next morning was early enough to tell her the story.
“We went to sleep and didn’t worry,” she muttered, “cause we knew you’d be okay with Bill, and you are always so responsible.”
Well, I thought heading for my own room, it’s a relief to know they didn’t worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Back in Time--Hawaii 2020, part 3

Wilder Road We got off the main highway on Kaumana Drive and turned onto Wilder Dr...