Saturday, January 2, 2010

Review of My Retired Life

Before I can begin my new life, I want to review my retired life so far, and the goals I made at the beginning of it. Now that my life is making such a detour, I want to see how I fared in the beginning of my retired life, before it veered off into space. So I'll check off my list I made when I first retired and "grade" myself on how I did.

1. Sleep until noon. "F" I failed miserably! I was lucky if I stayed in bed until 8:00 unless I was sick. But that's okay. That was not only an unrealistic goal, but one I didn't really want to make. It would have wasted too much time! But it sounded so much fun when I was getting up early each morning to go to work. Getting up early when I can sleep in is even more fun!
2. Travel! I have to give myself a "D" on that. We did a little traveling, but it soon became apparent that our travel days were over. Other than a trip to Ed's high school reunion, and a trip to Branson, Missouri for Ed's 42nd reunion of his army flight school gradution (which we spent mostly in the hotel room watching tv as Ed was too sick to do much more), Ed's health quickly ruled out travel. In fact, it appeared that our days traveling by air were over!
3. Complete my projects--especially my sewing room, and organizing my stuff and cleaning out the basement. This is one of the few I can say I really accomplished--"B-" When we left this morning, my sewing room was completely organized, my craft stuff was put away and marked, all of my stuff was out of the garage, and I'd gone through all the boxes!!!!! The pantry was completely reorganized and cleaned. Of course, I'd completely remodeled the sewing room and pantry. But--drum roll--I'd also marked every shelf and box in the house with a letter and listed what was in it in my computer !!!!! If my memory fails when I come home, I can refer to my master list and look for my "spatulas" in "drawer ZZ" in the kitchen! Or, I can call and ask Bryan to look in "Box OF" in the garage for Grandma Chambers' genealogy to send me. Only one glitch--when we were moving the boxes out of the garage, we moved all the genealogy to the garage (and I'd marked it in the sewing room) and some boxes of unmarked sewing boxes into the sewing room.
4. I will exercise every morning! "F-" I tried, but I wore out my treadmill, and gave up! Enough said.
5. I will work in the garden an hour every day. "C-" I did pretty good, but then my pericarditis got bad because I was in the sun too much. I tended too work too much, too long, and not pace myself, but I did get quite a bit done.
6. Spend more quality time with my grandchildren. "D" This one breaks my heart because I really feel this one matters more than the others, but when they came in the summer they worked in the yard more, and after school started, Athena has been substitute teaching so they seldom get down to Centerville. As I said, I feel worse about this one than all the others. Now I won't even be around to work on this one.

Next I will have to make new goals for my New Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Back in Time--Hawaii 2020, part 3

Wilder Road We got off the main highway on Kaumana Drive and turned onto Wilder Dr...